This Data Protection policy exists in accordance with EU General Data Protection Regulation (2018) (also known as GDPR). It is in force so that all parents/guardians of the students at StarStruck Performing Arts are fully aware of how their information is handled, stored and used.
What information do we need and why?
For the safety and welfare of all students who attend StarStruck Performing Arts we are required to obtain certain types of information from all parents/guardians in relation to their child. All information obtained is for the protection of students in our care during lessons and for communication of important information to parents and guardians.
In order to be a fully registered SSPA student we collect the student’s full name, address, telephone numbers, medical information, the school/college they attend and the StarStruck class(s) they take part in. We also collect the parent/guardian’s names and email addresses. When an email address is given we assume consent to use it. This information helps us in relation to the following circumstances:
- Knowledge of a student’s age will determine the correct class
- Submit information to 3rd parties (please see below) for participation in events, exams and shows
- Contact parents regarding updates about classes and events at SSPA
- Contact parents in the event of a class cancellation or change of time/venue
- Contact parents in the event of their child being unwell or injured whilst in a SSPA class
How do we store your information?
All information obtained is stored securely in electronic formats. Please see below for more detail regarding how we store the information you provide us with:
- The information is inputted into a Performers Database which is password protected. StarStruck’s Principal and school secretaries are the only people with access to this database
- All files mentioned above are accessed from devices which are also encrypted
The information obtained will only be used when necessary, whether this is communicating school information with parents/guardians, or in the case of an emergency.
Who has access to the information?
On a day to day basis, the information stored regarding students is accessible by the Principal and the school secretaries. On occasion, it may be necessary for SSPA to disclose student information to a 3rd party. Please see below for more information:
Data Protection Policy April 2018
- SSPA hosts an annual show and in order for it to be performed, it is essential for StarStruck to obtain licenses and license exemptions from local councils to comply with Child Work Enforcement regulations. SSPA are therefore required to provide those councils with your child’s name, date of birth, home address and the school that they attend
- SSPA regularly perform in shows arranged by 3rd parties e.g. Mardis Gras Promotions or Chance to Dance. If your child is performing with SSPA in one of these shows SSPA will be required to provide details of your child’s name, date of birth, home address and the name of the school that they attend
- If your child enters into IDTA Theatre examinations with us, we are required to provide the IDTA with your child’s name and date of birth
- Your contact information will also be provided to SSPA Teachers with their class register to ensure that you can be contacted in the event of an emergency or change to our scheduled lessons
- Every parent/guardian has the right to know what information we store regarding their child. All information access requests should be sent in writing to the Principal.
- Every parent/guardian has the right to opt out of our Data scheme. Upon notification of this, all data will be erased immediately. This will mean that in the event of an emergency, they will not be contactable (additional insurance paperwork will apply to these individuals). They will not have knowledge regarding school events/shows/exams/auditions or news/updates as they happen.
- If at any time a parent wishes to withdraw their consent, they will not suffer a disadvantage with regard to SSPA news and updates if they continue to follow our Social Media channels. They will however need to consider the ramifications in the event of an emergency.
Data regarding your child is kept on record for the duration of their attendance at StarStruck Performing Arts. Information will be kept on record for two years following your child leaving StarStruck Performing Arts for insurance purposes and in order for us to use again should they return. All information will then be erased.